Last Updated November 15, 2018
At A Better Chicago, we understand that privacy matters. We are committed to protecting the privacy of our donors and visitors to our website located at www.abetterchicago.org (the “website”). The information below is designed to help you better understand the information we gather from or about you through our website and through our services, how we protect the information once we gather it, how we may use it and under what circumstances we may disclose it to third parties.
What information do we collect?
- Automatically collected Information: In general, we automatically gather certain usage information, such as the number and frequency of visitors to this website and what features of the website are most popular to our visitors. This information may include which URL you just came from, which URL you next go to, what browser you are using, what features you click on and read (in whole or in part), and your IP address. We use such data only in the aggregate. This collective data helps us to determine how frequently our visitors use parts of the website and allows us to conduct internal research on our users’ demographics, interests, and behavior, so as to better understand and serve our visitors.
- Information you provide us: In addition, we may collect personally identifiable information, such as your name and email address, if you subscribe to our mailing list or through our third-party partners if you decide to make a donation to A Better Chicago. This information may include your name, mailing address, email address, phone number, and donation information. When you choose to connect your social networking pages, such as Facebook and Twitter, with the website, information may be imported from these third party websites to this website.
- Cookies. To enhance your experience with the website, we may use browser “cookies” web beacons and shopper ID’s. Cookies are text files that are stored on your computer’s browser or temporarily in your computer’s memory.
What do we use your information for?
We use the information we collect primarily to communicate with you, to facilitate donations, to fulfill requests you have made and to improve our website. If you provide us with contact information, we may use such information to let you know about events or news related to A Better Chicago or for marketing purposes. In addition, unless you specify that a gift be “anonymous” or otherwise request that your donation not be publicly attributed to you, we may list your name together with the names of other donors in brochures and in connection with benefit programs, so as to publicly recognize the generosity of our donors. If you post to any of A Better Chicago’s social networking pages on third party websites, you are providing information to the public and do so at your own risk. A Better Chicago may use these postings on its website without further notice or compensation to you.
We use Google Analytics, which is a web analytics tool that helps us understand how users engage with the website. Like many services, Google Analytics uses first-party cookies to track user interactions, as in our case, where they are used to collect information about how users use the website. This information is used to compile reports and to help us improve the website. The reports disclose website trends without identifying individual visitors. You can opt out of Google Analytics without affecting how you visit our website – for more information on opting out of being tracked by Google Analytics across all websites you use, visit this Google page: https://tools.google.com/dlpage/gaoptout.
HOW DO WE DISCLOSE YOUR INFORMATION?
We may share the personal information or non-identifying aggregated data that we collect as described below:
- With outside service providers to facilitate A Better Chicago’s website and overall operation, and to perform functions on our behalf, such as sending postal mail and email, analyzing data, and processing credit card payments. These third parties may have access to your personal information as needed to perform their functions, but they may not use it for any other purpose.
- To administer your account.
- To communicate with you about your account or transactions with us.
- To exercise our legal rights; to defend against any claims against us; to protect the rights, property, security, and/or safety of our employees, agents, and users; to enforce our contracts, agreements, to investigate, respond to and resolve problems or inquiries; or to permit us to pursue available remedies or limit any damages we may sustain.
- To optimize or improve the content and features of the website.
- To monitor and analyze the website usage and trends and otherwise measure the effectiveness of the content provided on the website.
- In connection with an actual or potential merger, sale, acquisition, assignment, or transfer of all or part of our assets, affiliates, lines of business, or products, including at bankruptcy.
- With your consent or as otherwise disclosed to you at the time of collection.
How do we protect your information?
We use standard industry practices to protect the confidentiality of information that you submit or that we collect (e.g., all online donations are processed through pages encrypted using SSL (Secure Socket Layer) before transmission). Please keep in mind, however, that no security system is impenetrable. It may be possible for third parties to intercept or access information you provide to A Better Chicago, and A Better Chicago cannot guarantee the security of such information.
We may require you to establish and use a user name and password to help protect your information in connection with some of our services. We encourage you to establish a “strong” password that cannot easily be guessed. Selecting a longer password with a mix of letters, numbers and symbols makes it more difficult for others to guess your password. It is also helpful to change passwords on a regular basis. Please do not share your user name and password with others. You agree to immediately notify us upon any suspected misuse of your user credentials.
By providing your contact information to A Better Chicago, you specifically consent to receiving mail, email, text messages, or other communications from A Better Chicago. If you do not wish to receive such communications, please notify us by email at email@example.com and include sufficient information for us to identify your name, email address (or telephone number) and the specifics of your request or use the unsubscribe link provided in such communication. If you unsubscribe, A Better Chicago may still contact you for administrative purposes.
Additionally, in accordance with local law, you may request access to the personal information we hold about you and that we correct, update or delete your registration account and personal information.
links to third party sites
Children’s online privacy
Our website is not directed to children under the age of 13 and children under the age of 13 should not use our website. We do not knowingly market to or collect personally identifiable information from children under the age of 13. If you believe that we may have collected such information, please notify us and ask that we delete that information from our records.
A Better Chicago
600 West Van Buren, Suite 510
Chicago, IL 60607