Funds will support the urgent needs of young people and their families, with a specific focus on Black and Latinx youth due to the disproportionate impact of COVID-19 on these communities and the systemic inequities that exist in Chicago. Grants may be requested from nonprofit organizations for the following needs:
- Providing direct financial support (e.g. stipends to students who have lost work)
- Providing essential goods and services (e.g. groceries)
- Rapidly innovating to continue delivering high-quality programming (e.g. virtual instruction)
Grant amount and duration will vary based on need, potential impact, and available funds. We anticipate making grants ranging from $20K-$100K over three to six months. We are currently providing funding for organizations serving youth and families in Cook County, DuPage County, Kane County, Lake County, McHenry County, and Will County.
To be considered for an Emergency Relief Fund grant, please submit an application focused on the specific project or initiative for which you are seeking relief funding. Our goal is to provide critical support as efficiently and effectively as possible. With that in mind, please consider the following options and select the most convenient way to apply:
- Complete this Google Form
- Respond to the application questions by sending an email to ERF@abetterchicago.org with:
- Written responses in email body or an attachment
- Video or voice recording
- Relevant proposals or materials developed for other funders
If you have any questions regarding applying for relief funding, please email ERF@abetterchicago.org or call Marshana Roberts at 312.674.7088.
Application launched: April 6, 2020
Application deadline: Rolling
Decision Period: Rolling
Funding decisions will be made on a rolling basis. We will confirm receipt of your application within two business days and be in touch with further questions, to request a follow-up call, or to share a decision within two weeks of submission.